The AbilityOne Program, formerly Javits-Wagner-O’Day, helps thousands of people who are blind or have other severe disabilities find employment. The program coordinates its activities with nonprofit organizations across the country to employ these individuals and provide goods and services to the federal government at a fair price. The AbilityOne Program:
- Employs more than 40,000 people who are blind or have other severe disabilities;
- Is the largest source of employment for people who are blind or have other severe disabilities in the country;
- Coordinates participation from more than 600 nonprofit agencies throughout the United States;
- Operates at nearly 1,000 locations representing 40 government agencies nationally;
- Provides a majority of the Military Chemical Protective Coats and Trousers, known as the JSLIST overgarment;
- Is the largest provider of custodial services and commissary shelf-stocking to the federal government;
- Is one of the major providers of military dining services to the Department of Defense;
- Supports humanitarian relief programs in more than 30 countries; and,
Surveyed the workforce in 2006 and found that 68 percent of people with severe disabilities were satisfied with their jobs and 79 percent are very proud of their work.
Visit JWOD’s Website for more information.